As it has since its inception, The Foundation for Enhancing Communities (TFEC) provides donors with an easy way to establish personalized funds that will achieve their philanthropic goals. TFEC funds can make grants to charitable organizations or provide scholarships. TFEC manages all aspects of a fund – accounting, auditing, reporting, investing, grants administration and evaluation, legal and tax compliance – at a significantly lower cost than if the donor established a private foundation.
Funds can be created by individuals, corporations, financial institutions, charitable organizations, probate courts, and private foundations. Funds are named by their donors and can serve almost any charitable purpose in perpetuity. They often memorialize or honor a family member. Funds are established with the donor’s commitment to reach a minimum $10,000 contribution level within five years.
Funds for Individuals, Families, Corporations and Foundations
- Donor Advised Fund – Offers the greatest flexibility and allows donors to recommend grants to charitable projects or organizations. Can be PERMANENT (only income is granted and principal grows in perpetuity), or NONPERMANENT (both principal and income can be granted). Particularly advantageous for donors who may want to make a single contribution and recommend grants to charitable beneficiaries over a longer period.
- Scholarship Fund - Benefits students at any educational level. Donors can select the scholarship awardees with assistance from a committee according to objective criteria. TFEC can assist in managing part or all of the application process. TFEC administers the award process and payment of all awards each semester.
- Restricted Fund – Provides ongoing, permanent support to one or more donor-selected agencies or programs. If charitable beneficiaries should cease to function or exist, TFEC will redirect income in a way that will achieve the donor’s original charitable intent.
- Area of Interest Fund – Enables donors to support a broad area of concern, such as the environment, arts and culture, or education. TFEC’s Grantmaking Committee then awards grants to charitable programs within the area of interest, and has the flexibility within that area of interest to respond to changing community needs.
- Unrestricted Fund – Ensures that grants will be available in perpetuity for the most current community needs. TFEC’s Grantmaking Committees have flexibility to apply income of the fund to the most relevant and promising opportunities within their service areas (Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lebanon, and Perry Counties, and the Dillsburg area).
Funds for Nonprofit Organizations
- Organizational/Agency Fund – This fund enables a charitable organization (agency) to place its own assets with The Foundation for permanent endowment purposes. The agency receives an annual income distribution for unrestricted purposes. These funds can be accounted for as assets of the agency (per FASB 136), but are owned by TFEC. The fund can also accept direct contributions from donors, which are accounted for and owned as assets of TFEC. By special request to TFEC’s Board of Directors, principal can be distributed to the agency.
Please click here to learn more about Agency Funds.