Checklist for Seniors
Summer before 12th grade
- Create a username and password called an FSA ID that you’ll use to confirm your identity when accessing your government financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. Learn about the FSA ID, and create yours.
- Find and follow PHEAA, College Board, Common app, Federal Student Aid, etc. on your favorite social media platform to keep helpful information in your feed year round.
- Find scholarships you might want to apply to. Search our website here.
- Find out how to search other free databases here.
Fall of 12th grade
- Attend your high school’s financial aid night (they are usually held from August-October).
- Connect with your School Counselor/Counseling office to make sure you are aware of financial aid information and deadlines.
- Complete the FAFSA after it opens on Oct. 1. Check your school’s financial aid deadline as some have very early priority deadlines! –
- After submitting your FAFSA, you’ll receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) within 3 days to 3 weeks. Make sure you keep this as you’ll need it when applying to scholarships! Click the link to learn how to save it for easy submission for financial aid.
- November: Identify specific TFEC funds you want to apply to.
- December: Prepare your TFEC scholarship application(s) materials and draft your essays if the scholarships require one.
- January: Applications go live! Ask for your letters of reference so they have time to write them for you and submit them by the application deadline (As early as March 1).
Spring of 12th grade
- It’s best to have your FAFSA completed prior to February, and to have an idea of your financial situation while beginning to apply for scholarships. Make sure to call your college or university’s financial aid office if you have any questions about the aid you are receiving!
- February: Begin submitting applications for upcoming deadlines.
- Most deadlines are March 1, March 15, and April 1.
- Most students who are recipients of a scholarship through TFEC will be notified of their award at their high school’s senior awards night. These awards nights often take place during the month of May.
Summer After Graduation
- Check out our Scholarships with summer deadlines and apply to those you are eligible for.
- If you are awarded one of our scholarships, complete and submit your Scholarship Acceptance Form, included in your award packet, by August 31st to ensure you are nominated for a PHEAA PATH Program matching grant.
- If awarded, make sure to send us your Fall tuition bill as soon as it’s generated.