As part of the Greater Harrisburg Foundation’s (GHF) Challenge for Giving, two fundraising workshops will be offered. Any organization may attend and benefit from this workshop! However, applicants who received a Greater Harrisburg Foundation (GHF) Challenge Grant award in the immediately prior year are not eligible to apply for the GHF Challenge until the following year; 2015 grantees may apply for the Challenge opportunity in 2017, but will be ineligible for the 2016 grant cycle.
Attendance at a workshop is optional for Challenge Grant applicants, but strongly recommended. Attending a workshop will assist applicants in learning the basics of a challenge campaign and give your organization a boost in competing for a grant.
Workshop attendees will have access to the trainer after the workshop for questions and assistance via phone and/or e-mail.
During each 2.5 hour learning opportunity, Lee E. Daney, M.Ed., CFRE, President of North Star Strategies, Inc. will explore the nuts and bolts of running a successful challenge campaign.
Each presentation will:
- Set the overall development program context (e.g., organizational experience in fundraising, timing) in which a challenge grant initiative can be successfully implemented
- Define and clarify the many (often misunderstood) terms associated with a challenge grant
- Clarify the goals of a challenge initiative (new gifts? increased gifts? annual gifts?) and identify a uniquely compelling purpose for which to ask for these special gifts
- Discuss the pros and cons of proactively seeking a challenge grant or reacting to the offer of one
- Differentiate between the enthusiasm for undertaking a challenge initiative and an organization’s capabilities to succeed with one by evaluating an organization’s donor base in terms of the challenge grant’s requirements and discussing how to structure a fundraising strategy to assure the challenge grant initiative’s success
- Discuss how to benchmark and appropriately document eligible gifts for reporting purposes to the donor
About the Presenter
Lee Daney has 45 years of experience as both a grant seeker and grant maker. From 1970 to 1993, Lee held senior staff positions at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, the Devereux Foundation, and the Medical College of Pennsylvania. Since founding North Star Strategies, Inc. in 1993, he has consulted with over 145 nonprofit organizations and foundations, both regionally and nationally. His areas of expertise include strategic planning, board and organizational development, and capital campaigns. He has consulted on 40 successful capital campaigns and major gift initiatives and facilitated over two dozen strategic plans. Lee has been President of the Delaware County Community Foundation and the Greater Philadelphia Chapter of the Association of Fund Raising Professionals. He currently sits on the Executive Committee of the Philadelphia Police Department Foundation and chairs the Development and Strategic Planning committees, and is an officer of the Hoxie Harrison Smith Foundation.
Sign up today to attend a fundraising workshop!
|Date:||Thursday, September 8, 2016
||Tuesday, September 27, 2016
|Time:||8:30am – 11:00am
||8:30am – 11:00am|
|Location:||GIANT Community Center, Linglestown||The Brethren Fellowship|
|2300 Linglestown Road||339 Lincoln Way E
|Harrisburg, PA 17110||Chambersburg, PA 17201