2019: APPLICATION AVAILABLE APRIL 1, 2019; DEADLINE AUGUST 1, 2019
The Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation (MACF), a regional foundation of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities (TFEC), conducts an annual competitive grantmaking program for nonprofit organizations serving the Mechanicsburg zip codes of 17050 and 17055.
MACF seeks to fund programs and services that have the potential for the greatest impact on the quality of life and positive outcomes for individuals and families living in the Mechanicsburg area. Through its grantmaking, MACF invests in innovative, collaborative approaches and solutions to community problems and supports projects that demonstrate achievable outcomes, the potential for replication as a model program, and plans for sustainability beyond the grant term.
MACF requires that applicant organizations be aligned with one or more of the following funding priorities
- Arts & Culture
- Community Development
- Health & Human Services
MACF is additionally pleased to welcome grant applications that address
- Community development and town pride in Mechanicsburg
- Hospice Services for people of the Mechanicsburg area
- Mechanicsburg based programs and organizations that serve people with terminal and debilitating illnesses, including Alzheimer’s Disease
- Programs & projects that focus upon or nurture access to early childhood education
- Eligible projects must serve the Mechanicsburg zip codes of 17050 and 17055.
- Applicants must either be a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, or have a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization act as a fiscal sponsor for the proposed project.
- If you are awarded a grant, we ask that a representative from your agency to be present at MACF’s Annual Grant Presentation Program taking place on October 29, 2019. Grant award checks will be presented at the event.
Size of Grants
The maximum grant is $12,000. In 2018 grant awards ranged from $2,500 -$12,000. Grants are awarded for one year. MACF will not fund 100% of any project.
- April 1, 2019: Application available.
- August 1, 2019: All application materials must be submitted through the online application system by 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in October 2019.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning January 1, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020. Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
What We Do Not Fund
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
Criteria for Evaluating Proposals
The MACF Advisory Committee makes all grantmaking decision and consists of a dedicated group of individuals committed to the betterment of the Mechanicsburg area. Committee members use the criteria below to evaluate applicant submissions and make valuable suggestions to ensure that work supported by the MACF will make a difference. The Grant Review Committee may request additional information about the grant proposal prior to making an award or denial. MACF will evaluate grant applications using the following prioritized criteria:
- Connection to the Funding Priorities of MAF.
- Service to the Mechanicsburg area and correlating zip codes is clearly specified, defined, and estimated.
- Narrative provides a clear picture of all proposed actions and activities.
- Project/program dates and locations are clearly addressed and anticipated.
- Project may have some similarities to comparable organizations and/or projects, but remains unique in its design or service.
- Project demonstrates how it will be inclusive/accessible to all applicable audiences.
- Roles and responsibilities are defined and work to strengthen/enhance the project.
- Project has an achievable funding plan and is not 100% dependent upon grant award.
- Budget Worksheet clearly defines where awarded funds will be applied.
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by the Program Officer for Community Investment prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to email@example.com. Draft review requests should be limited to one review of each grant opportunity and staff will not be able to honor technical assistance requests made later than two weeks prior to the submission deadline.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
You may view, download, and/or print the application below. To complete the application you will need to download, complete, and upload the application and all required materials to the Franklin County Community Foundation application link below within our online application system.
All applicants will follow three simple steps to complete an application to the Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation:
- Access, download, and/or print the Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation Grant Application here: Mechanicsburg Area Foundation 2019 Grant Application
- This grant opportunity requires signatures and attachments. See the Grant Application for full instructions.
- Log into our online application system at: Click here to begin a NEW application within the online application system or Click here to RETURN TO A SAVED application with the online application system. New applicants will need to create an account login when using the online application system for the first time. All users will complete the Organization Contact Information, Application Information, and Attachments Tabs before reviewing materials for submission. Some information provided in the online application system is identical to information provided in the grant application; please be sure that these answers correspond. For this grant opportunity, all required materials will be uploaded within the Attachments Tab; materials will not be mailed or delivered. Using the Review My Application Tab, review your materials for completeness, be sure to save and print a copy of all materials for yourself, and Submit. Please note that TFEC staff cannot access or view your Draft Materials, and that you must select “Submit” by 4pm on the deadline date.
Helpful Hints: Accessing the Online Application System
- To begin, you will enter the applicant organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number. You will not will not be able to create an Organization Profile without it.
- You may Save and Finish Later at any time when completing the Organization Profile and uploading documents.
- Submit all materials prior to the deadline; the online application system will close after 4pm.
Notes to Remember
- All materials, including letters of support if applicable, are to be uploaded and submitted online for this grant opportunity. Items requiring an original signature should be signed, scanned, and uploaded.
- Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
- Applicants with current grant awards from TFEC who are delinquent or non-compliant in grant reporting requirements may have subsequent grant applications denied.
- Questions are welcome at any time and TFEC provides feedback on proposals that were not funded.
If using a Fiscal Sponsor for your application, you must also follow the directions below
- Enter the Fiscal Sponsor Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, to access the online application system.
- Your application must include a letter signed by the Executive Leader of the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor indicating their agreement to act as your Fiscal Sponsor. An original signature is required. This letter should be uploaded with your application attachments.
- Within the “Application Information” tab of the online application system, you will be required to provide additional information about the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor under the “Fiscal Sponsor” Heading. Within this section, the Organization Name and Contact Information should be for the Organization and Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor. You will also complete all questions regarding registration with the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations using your Fiscal Sponsor’s information.
- For all other elements of the “Organization Contact Information” and “Application Information” tabs, your organization is the Applicant Organization and all other questions on the application should include information relating to your organization and not the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- If applicable, upload the Board of Directors List for your organization AND your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If the applicant organization has a separate budget or financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, this document may also be uploaded.
- The organization acting as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
If you should have any questions regarding TFEC grant opportunities or your application, please contact Jennifer Strechay, Program Officer for Community Investment, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-236-5040.