APPLICATION AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 1; DEADLINE MAY 1
The Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation (MACF), a regional foundation of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities (TFEC), conducts an annual competitive grantmaking program for nonprofit organizations serving the Mechanicsburg zip codes of 17050 and 17055.
MACF seeks to fund programs and services that have the potential for the greatest impact on the quality of life and positive outcomes for individuals and families living in the Mechanicsburg area. Through its grantmaking, MACF invests in innovative, collaborative approaches and solutions to community problems and supports projects that demonstrate achievable outcomes, the potential for replication as a model program, and plans for sustainability beyond the grant term.
MACF requires that applicant organizations be aligned with one or more of the following funding priorities
- Arts & Culture
- Community Development
- Health & Human Services
MACF is additionally pleased to welcome grant applications that address
- Community development and town pride in Mechanicsburg
- Hospice Services for people of the Mechanicsburg area
- Mechanicsburg based programs and organizations that serve people with terminal and debilitating illnesses, including Alzheimer’s Disease
- Programs & projects that focus upon or nurture access to early childhood education
- Eligible projects must serve the Mechanicsburg zip codes of 17050 and 17055.
- Applicants must either be a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, a nonprofit organization as recognized by the IRS as such, or have a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization act as a fiscal sponsor for the proposed project.
- If you are awarded a grant, we ask that a representative from your agency to be present at MACF’s Annual Grant Presentation Program taking place in Fall 2021. Grant award checks will be presented at the event.
Size of Grants
The maximum grant is $12,000. In 2020 grant awards ranged from $1,000 -$10,000. Grants are awarded for one year. This grant opportunity will not fund 100% of any project.
- February 1, 2022: Application available.
- May 1, 2022: All application materials must be submitted through the online application system by 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their status on August 1, 2022.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning September 1, 2022 and ending August 31, 2023.
What We Do Not Fund
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
Criteria for Evaluating Proposals
The MACF Advisory Committee makes all grantmaking decisions and consists of a dedicated group of individuals committed to the betterment of the Mechanicsburg area. The Grant Review Committee may request additional information about the grant proposal prior to making an award or denial. MACF will evaluate grant applications using the following prioritized criteria:
- Connection to the Funding Priorities of MACF.
- Service to the Mechanicsburg area and correlating zip codes are clearly specified, defined, and estimated.
- Narrative provides a clear picture of all proposed actions and activities.
- Project/program dates and locations are clearly addressed and anticipated.
- Project may have some similarities to comparable organizations and/or projects, but remains unique in its design or service.
- Project demonstrates how it will be inclusive/accessible to all applicable audiences.
- Roles and responsibilities are defined and work to strengthen/enhance the project.
- Project has an achievable funding plan and is not 100% dependent upon grant award.
- Budget Worksheet clearly defines where awarded funds will be applied.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Follow Three Simple Steps to Apply
- ACCESS, download, and/or print the Area Community Foundation Grant Application here: Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation Grant Application
- LOGIN into the TFEC online application system and begin or update your online profile here:
- Click here to BEGIN your online profile for the Mechanicsburg Area Community Foundation Grant Application – Applicants who have never used TFEC’s online application system must create an account login when using the online application system for the first time.
- Click here to UPDATE your online profile and return to a saved application.
- UPLOAD all required materials to the Attachments Tab within the online application system and select submit before 4 pm on the application deadline. This grant opportunity requires attachments. See the Grant Application for full instructions. All required materials will be uploaded within the Attachments Tab; materials should not be mailed or delivered.
Helpful Hints: Using the Online Application System
- To begin, you will enter the applicant organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number. You will not be able to create an Organization Profile without it.
- You may Save and Finish Later at any time.
- Some information provided in the online application system is identical to information provided in the grant application; be sure that these answers correspond.
- The grant application and all attachments, including letters of support if applicable, are to be uploaded and submitted using the online application system.
- Save a copy of all materials for yourself prior to selecting Submit.
- Submit all materials prior to the deadline; the online application system will automatically close after 4 pm.
- TFEC staff cannot access or view your Draft Materials.
Notes to Remember
- Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
- Applicants with current grant awards from TFEC who are delinquent or non-compliant in grant reporting requirements may have subsequent grant applications denied.
Applicants using a Fiscal Sponsor for this application must also follow the directions below
ACCESSING THE APPLICATION
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who has 501c3 status, you will need to enter the Fiscal Sponsor Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, when beginning your work in the online application system.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
- Within the “Application Information” tab of the online application system, you will see a “Fiscal Sponsor” Heading. Within this section, the Organization Name and Contact Information should be for the Organization and Executive Leader of the organization serving as your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who is registered with the Commonwealth, answer all questions about the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations using your Fiscal Sponsor’s information.
- For all other elements of the “Organization Contact Information” and “Application Information” tabs, the name of your organization/project is the Applicant Organization and all other questions should be answered using your organization/project information rather than your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Your application must include a letter signed (digital or original) by the Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor stating their agreement to do so. This letter will be uploaded with your application attachments.
- Upload the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the Board of Directors List for your Fiscal Sponsor AND if your organization/project has its own Leadership Team list, please also upload.
- Upload the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If your organization/project has a separate budget or financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, please also upload.
- The organization serving as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
All applicants are invited to contact our Community Investment Team, to discuss a proposed project or application.
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by our Community Investment Team prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Draft review requests are limited to one review of each grant opportunity and submissions must be received at least two weeks prior to the application deadline.