2020 APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE; DEADLINE AUGUST 1, 2020
The mission of the Children’s Home Foundation Fund, a fund of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities, is to provide aid to economically disadvantaged children in Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties.
In accordance with this mission, funding priority will be given in the following areas:
- Human services, especially programs which address needs for food, clothing and shelter
- Cultural enrichment and the arts
Funding is restricted to programs serving only disadvantaged children in Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties. Multi-year funding requests will be considered, but may be granted conditioned upon investment return, confirmation of matching funds identified by the Grantee, and/or the availability of foundation funds (in the years following the initial year of funding).
- The Children’s Home Foundation began as “The Children’s Industrial Home Association of Harrisburg, Penna.” in 1923.
- The Home’s name was amended in 1927 to “The Children’s Home of Harrisburg”.
- The original purpose of the Home was “the amelioration and improvement of the condition of children who are destitute and indigent”
- The institution was operated as a home for children and as an adoption placement service for children until 1947, when the home was closed and the foundation was formed.
- Over the intervening years, the Children’s Home Foundation has operated as a private foundation and has distributed over $500,000 to charities serving children in the tri-county area.
- In 2017, the Children’s Home Foundation transitioned from a private foundation to a fund of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities and amended its name to The Children’s Home Foundation Fund, a fund of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities.
- The Children’s Home Foundation Fund will make grants that serve to provide aid to economically disadvantaged children in Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties.
- This opportunity is available to nonprofit organizations federally determined as 501(c)(3) entities.
- Applicants without 501(c)(3) status may engage a fiscal sponsor to administer their grant funds. If using a fiscal sponsor, you must follow the additional “Fiscal Sponsor” instructions below.
- In order to be considered eligible for future funding, grantees must provide a final grant use report to the Children’s Home Foundation Fund when all funds have been expended but no later than sixty (60) days following completion of the project.
- Unexpended grant funds must be returned to the Children’s Home Foundation Fund when all funds have been expended but no later than sixty (60) days following completion of the project.
SIZE OF GRANTS
Grant awards are generally between $1,500 – $6,000.
This funding opportunity offers two grant application rounds per year and will follow the schedule below:
Application Deadline: August 1, 2020 This Round Will Open on April 15
- April 1, 2020 Application available.
- August 1, 2020: Emailed applications must be submitted by 4:00pm; mailed applications must be postmarked by this date.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in December 2020.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning January 1, 2021 and ending December 31, 2021.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2020; This Round Is Closed
- October 1, 2019: Application available.
- February 1, 2020: All application materials must be received by, not postmarked by, 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their grant status on or before June 2020.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning July 1, 2020 and ending June 30, 2021.
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Follow Three Simple Steps to Apply
- ACCESS, download and/or print the 2020 Children’s Home Foundation Fund Application for Funding Cover Page here: 2020 Children’s Home Foundation Fund Application for Funding Cover Page
- COMPLETE the Children’s Home Foundation Fund Application for Funding Cover Page and follow all directions. Gather required attachments, including documentation of federal and state charitable registration.
- All attachments listed within the Application for Funding Cover Page are required.
- Letters of support are not required but are accepted.
- If your project represents a partnership or is 100% dependent upon participation by an organization presented in your application, please provide a letter from each organization that confirms their agreement to participate.
- Applicants using a fiscal sponsor, must also follow the Fiscal Sponsor directions below.
- EMAIL your complete Application for Funding Cover Page and all required attachments to email@example.com by 4pm on the deadline date. Applications will not be accepted after this date or time. Applicants who do not have access to email may mail materials to The Foundation for Enhancing Communities, Attn: Children’s Home Foundation Fund, PO Box 678, Harrisburg, PA 17108-0678. Applications must be postmarked by the deadline date. Hand delivered materials will not be accepted at this time.
Applicants using a Fiscal Sponsor for this application must also follow the directions below
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
- The Children’s Home Foundation Fund will consider applications utilizing a Fiscal Sponsorship on a case-by-case basis.
- Your application must include a letter signed (digital or original) by the Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor stating their agreement to do so. This letter will be submitted with your application attachments.
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who has 501c3 status, you must provide the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who is registered with PA, you must include the Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations registration of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Provide the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If your organization/project has a separate financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, please also provide.
- Include the current budget for your Fiscal Sponsor AND your your organization.
- Include the Board of Directors List for your Fiscal Sponsor AND if your organization/project has its own Leadership Team list, please also upload.
- The organization serving as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by the Program Officer for Community Investment prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Draft review requests are limited to one review of each grant opportunity and submissions must be received at least two weeks prior to the application deadline.
If you should have any questions regarding TFEC grant opportunities or your application, please contact Jennifer Strechay, Program Officer for Community Investment, at email@example.com or 717-236-5040. Questions are welcome at any time!