2019: APPLICATION AVAILABLE APRIL 1, 2019; DEADLINE AUGUST 1, 2019
The Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund, a fund of the The Foundation for Enhancing Communities, was established in 1984 in memory of Martin M. Sacks, a well-known accountant and handball devotee. Mr. Sacks was committed to supporting nonprofit organizations that provide programs and services for the disadvantaged and underserved, particularly youth.
The Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund invites established 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations to submit proposals to support youth and family oriented programs and services that are consistent with the mission of your agency. Grants are awarded to eligible nonprofit organizations serving the south central PA counties of Cumberland, Dauphin, and/or Perry Counties. Preference will be given to programs and/or services that are provided to or within Harrisburg and the immediate surrounding areas. The term of the grant is one year. The committee seeks to support innovative activities that directly benefit at-risk children, youth, and their families.
This opportunity is available to nonprofit organizations serving the south central PA counties of Cumberland, Dauphin, and/or Perry Counties. Preference will be given to programs and/or services that are provided to or within Harrisburg and the immediate surrounding areas.
Eligible activities may include (but are not limited to):
- Services for homeless women and their children
- Therapeutic counseling services
- Domestic violence and abuse services
- Support groups for individuals or families
- Physical, emotional or behavioral health services
- Sports and recreation programs
- After-school programs
- Services for children/youth with special needs
- Be innovative and not duplicate existing programs and services
- Empower the disadvantaged and underserved
- Be collaborative in nature
- Demonstrate measurable and achievable outcomes
Size of Grants
It is anticipated that approximately $9,000 will be available to grant in 2019. The average grant award is $1,500.
- April 1, 2019: Application available.
- August 1, 2019: All application materials must be submitted through the online application system by 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in December 2019.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning January 1, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020. Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
What We Do Not Fund
The fund does not make grants to individuals or for-profit organizations.
In addition, in alignment with TFEC guidelines, this grant opportunity does not fund:
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by the Program Officer for Community Investment prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Draft review requests should be limited to one review of each grant opportunity and staff will not be able to honor technical assistance requests made later than two weeks prior to the submission deadline.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
You may view, download, and/or print the application below. To complete the application you will need to download, complete, and upload the application and all required materials to the Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund application link below within our online application system.
All applicants will follow three simple steps to complete an application to the Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund:
- Access, download, and/or print the Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund Grant Application here: 2019 Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund Grant Application
- This grant opportunity requires signatures and attachments. See the Grant Application for full instructions.
- Log into our online application system at: Click here to begin a NEW application within the online application system or Click here to RETURN TO A SAVED application with the online application system. New applicants will need to create an account login when using the online application system for the first time. All users will complete the Organization Contact Information, Application Information, and Attachments Tabs before reviewing materials for submission. Some information provided in the online application system is identical to information provided in the grant application; please be sure that these answers correspond. For this grant opportunity, all required materials will be uploaded within the Attachments Tab; materials will not be mailed or delivered. Using the Review My Application Tab, review your materials for completeness, be sure to save and print a copy of all materials for yourself, and Submit. Please note that TFEC staff cannot access or view your Draft Materials, and that you must select “Submit” by 4pm on the deadline date.
Helpful Hints: Accessing the Online Application System
- To begin, you will enter the applicant organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number. You will not will not be able to create an Organization Profile without it.
- You may Save and Finish Later at any time when completing the Organization Profile and uploading documents.
- Submit all materials prior to the deadline; the online application system will close after 4pm.
Notes to Remember
- All materials, including letters of support if applicable, are to be uploaded and submitted online for this grant opportunity. Items requiring an original signature should be signed, scanned, and uploaded.
- Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
- Applicants with current grant awards from TFEC who are delinquent or non-compliant in grant reporting requirements may have subsequent grant applications denied.
- Questions are welcome at any time and TFEC provides feedback on proposals that were not funded.
If using a Fiscal Sponsor for your application, you must also follow the directions below
- Enter the Fiscal Sponsor Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, to access the online application system.
- Your application must include a letter signed by the Executive Leader of the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor indicating their agreement to act as your Fiscal Sponsor. An original signature is required. This letter should be uploaded with your application attachments.
- Within the “Application Information” tab of the online application system, you will be required to provide additional information about the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor under the “Fiscal Sponsor” Heading. Within this section, the Organization Name and Contact Information should be for the Organization and Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor. You will also complete all questions regarding registration with the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations using your Fiscal Sponsor’s information.
- For all other elements of the “Organization Contact Information” and “Application Information” tabs, your organization is the Applicant Organization and all other questions on the application should include information relating to your organization and not the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- If applicable, upload the Board of Directors List for your organization AND your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If the applicant organization has a separate budget or financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, this document may also be uploaded.
- The organization acting as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
If you should have any questions regarding TFEC grant opportunities or your application, please contact Jennifer Strechay, Program Officer for Community Investment, at email@example.com or 717-236-5040.