2020 APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE; DEADLINE AUGUST 1, 2020
The Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund, a fund of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities, was established in 1984 in memory of Martin M. Sacks, a well-known accountant and handball devotee. Mr. Sacks was committed to supporting nonprofit organizations that provide programs and services for the disadvantaged and underserved, particularly youth.
The Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund invites established 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations to submit proposals to support youth and family oriented programs and services that are consistent with the mission of your agency. Grants are awarded to eligible nonprofit organizations serving the south central PA counties of Cumberland, Dauphin, and/or Perry Counties. Preference will be given to programs and/or services that are provided to or within Harrisburg and the immediate surrounding areas. The committee seeks to support innovative activities that directly benefit at-risk children, youth, and their families.
This opportunity is available to nonprofit organizations serving the south central PA counties of Cumberland, Dauphin, and/or Perry Counties. Preference will be given to programs and/or services that are provided to or within Harrisburg and the immediate surrounding areas.
Eligible activities may include (but are not limited to):
- Services for homeless women and their children
- Therapeutic counseling services
- Domestic violence and abuse services
- Support groups for individuals or families
- Physical, emotional or behavioral health services
- Sports and recreation programs
- After-school programs
- Services for children/youth with special needs
- Be innovative and not duplicate existing programs and services
- Empower the disadvantaged and underserved
- Be collaborative in nature
- Demonstrate measurable and achievable outcomes
Size of Grants
It is anticipated that $7,0000 will be available to grant in 2020. In 2019, grant awards ranged from $500-$1,000. Grants are awarded for one year. This grant opportunity will not fund 100% of any project.
- April 1, 2020: Application available.
- August 1, 2020: All application materials must be submitted through the online application system by 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in December 2020.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning January 1, 2021 and ending December 31, 2021. Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
What We Do Not Fund
The fund does not make grants to individuals or for-profit organizations.
In addition, in alignment with TFEC guidelines, this grant opportunity does not fund:
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
Criteria for Evaluating Proposals
The grant review committee for this opportunity consists of a dedicated group of individuals committed to the funding priorities of the Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund. The grant review committee may request additional information about the grant proposal prior to making an award or denial.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Follow Three Simple Steps to Apply
- ACCESS, download and/or print the 2020 Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund Grant Application here: 2020 Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund Grant Application
- LOGIN into the TFEC online application system and begin or update your online profile here:
- Click here to BEGIN your online profile for the 2020 Martin M. Sacks Memorial Fund Grant Application – Applicants who have never used TFEC’s online application system must create an account login when using the online application system for the first time.
- Click here to UPDATE your online profile and return to a saved application
- UPLOAD all required materials to the Attachments Tab within the online application system and select submit before 4pm on the application deadline. This grant opportunity requires attachments. See the Grant Application for full instructions. All required materials will be uploaded within the Attachments Tab; materials should not be mailed or delivered.
Helpful Hints: Using the Online Application System
- To begin, you will enter the applicant organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number. You will not will not be able to create an Organization Profile without it.
- You may Save and Finish Later at any time.
- Some information provided in the online application system is identical to information provided in the grant application; be sure that these answers correspond.
- The grant application and all attachments, including letters of support if applicable, are to be uploaded and submitted using the online application system.
- Save a copy of all materials for yourself prior to selecting Submit.
- Submit all materials prior to the deadline; the online application system will automatically close after 4pm.
- TFEC staff cannot access or view your Draft Materials.
Notes to Remember
- Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
- Applicants with current grant awards from TFEC who are delinquent or non-compliant in grant reporting requirements may have subsequent grant applications denied.
Applicants using a Fiscal Sponsor for this application must also follow the directions below
ACCESSING THE APPLICATION
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who has 501c3 status, you will need to enter the Fiscal Sponsor Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, when beginning your work in the online application system.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
- Within the “Application Information” tab of the online application system, you will see a “Fiscal Sponsor” Heading. Within this section, the Organization Name and Contact Information should be for the Organization and Executive Leader of the organization serving as your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Because your Fiscal Sponsor is the organization who is registered with the Commonwealth, answer all questions about the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations using your Fiscal Sponsor’s information.
- For all other elements of the “Organization Contact Information” and “Application Information” tabs, the name of your organization/project is the Applicant Organization and all other questions should be answered using your organization/project information rather than your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Your application must include a letter signed (digital or original) by the Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor stating their agreement to do so. This letter will be uploaded with your application attachments.
- Upload the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the Board of Directors List for your Fiscal Sponsor AND if your organization/project has its own Leadership Team list, please also upload.
- Upload the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If your organization/project has a separate budget or financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, please also upload.
- The organization serving as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by the Program Officer for Community Investment prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Draft review requests are limited to one review of each grant opportunity and submissions must be received at least two weeks prior to the application deadline.
If you should have any questions regarding TFEC grant opportunities or your application, please contact Jennifer Strechay, Program Officer for Community Investment, at email@example.com or 717-236-5040. Questions are welcome at any time!