2019: APPLICATION AVAILABLE APRIL 1, 2019; DEADLINE AUGUST 1, 2019
The mission of The Fund for Women & Girls, a special initiative of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities, is to broaden the awareness of and response to issues affecting women and girls through the power of collective philanthropy. Created in 2000, The Fund for Women & Girls has been working for nearly two decades to broaden the awareness of and respond to issues affecting women and girls through the power of collective philanthropy and continues to strengthen its primary goals:
- To recruit 1,000 women to join the Dream Team by each making a gift of $1,000 which will be used to create a lasting endowment of $1 million to support women and girls now, and far into the future.
- Make grants annually to local nonprofit organizations that focus on bettering the lives of women and girls in the South Central PA counties of Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lebanon, and Perry, and the Dillsburg Area.
The Fund for Women & Girls believes that positive social change will come about only when barriers of class, economic status, educational background, ethnicity, educational background, faith traditions, gender identity, race, and sexual orientation are overcome. Participation at the broadest level is the beacon of our work.
Enduring progress will be made by focusing on assets unique to the lives and work of women and girls. We strive to create a climate of empowerment in a community where many voices can contribute to the shaping of will and attitudes.
In our society, gender powerfully affects experience and opportunity. All voices will be heard, including those outside the mainstream and those silent voices within the mainstream.
To further its mission, The Fund for Women & Girls utilizes three Funding Priorities which seek to support projects that advance the lives of girls and women by:
- Providing opportunities to address basic needs or develop economic self-sufficiency
- Strengthening and/or providing health and safety programs for women and girls
- Promoting the education of women and girls.
The Fund for Women & Girls will make grants to programs/initiatives that serve women and girls in the South Central PA counties of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Lebanon, Perry, and the Dillsburg Area of York County. All money must be distributed through nonprofit organizations federally determined as 501(c)(3) entities. Applicants without 501(c)(3) status may engage a fiscal sponsor to administer their grant funds. If using a fiscal sponsor, you must follow the additional “Fiscal Sponsor” instructions below.
SIZE OF GRANTS
The maximum grant is $3,000. In 2018 grant awards ranged from $1,000-$3,000. Grants are awarded for one year.
- April 1, 2019: Application available.
- August 1, 2019: All application materials must be submitted through the online application system by 4:00pm.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in December 2019.
- Proposed projects may take place at any time during the grant year beginning January 1, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020. Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
USE OF FUNDS
Funds are to be used to carry out the program effort or initiative as defined in the grant proposal. The Fund for Women & Girls considers support for program/initiative operating costs and supports start-up as well as established programs.
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
- Advancement of capital or endowment campaign.
- Anti-reproductive rights activities.
- Co-educational programs that do not clearly communicate the specific and unique aspects for women and girls.
- Event sponsorship.
- Political campaigns or promotion of candidates for public office.
- Promotion of religious beliefs.
- Scholarships that fund individual students.
In addition, in alignment with TFEC guidelines, this grant opportunity does not fund:
- Capital campaigns
- Direct lobbying to influence legislation or funding appropriations
- National and statewide umbrella organizations that cannot demonstrate a local presence
- New staff positions without a substantial plan for sustainability
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Retroactive projects
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATING PROPOSALS
The Fund for Women & Girls Grant Review Committee consists of a diverse group of women committed to the mission of The Fund for Women & Girls. Committee members use the criteria below to evaluate applicant submissions and make valuable suggestions to ensure that work supported by The Fund for Women & Girls will make a difference. The Grant Review Committee may request additional information about the grant proposal prior to making an award or denial.
The Fund for Women & Girls will evaluate grant applications using the following criteria:
25 points Connection to the mission and 3 Funding Priorities of the Fund for Women & Girls.
15 points Service to women and girls is clearly specified, defined, and estimated.
15 points Narrative provides a clear picture of all proposed actions and activities.
10 points Project/program dates and locations are clearly addressed and anticipated.
10 points Project may have some similarities to comparable organizations and/or projects,
but remains unique in its design or service.
10 points Project demonstrates how it will be inclusive/accessible to all applicable audiences.
5 points Roles and responsibilities are defined and work to strengthen/enhance the project.
5 points Project has an achievable funding plan and is not 100% dependent upon grant award.
5 points Budget Worksheet clearly defines where awarded funds will be applied.
100 Total Points Available
Applicants may request a draft review of their application materials by the Program Officer for Community Investment prior to submission. To submit a draft review, email all materials to be reviewed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Draft review requests should be limited to one review of each grant opportunity and staff will not be able to honor technical assistance requests made later than two weeks prior to the submission deadline.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
You may view, download, and/or print the application below. To complete the application you will need to download, complete, and upload the application and all required materials to The Fund for Women & Girls application link below within our online application system.
All applicants will follow three simple steps to complete an application to The Fund for Women & Girls:
- Access, download, and/or print The Fund for Women & Girls Grant Application here: The Fund for Women & Girls Grant Application
- This grant opportunity requires signatures and attachments. See the Grant Application for full instructions.
- Log into our online application system at: Click here to begin a NEW application within the online application system or Click here to RETURN TO A SAVED application with the online application system. New applicants will need to create an account login when using the online application system for the first time. All users will complete the Organization Contact Information, Application Information, and Attachments Tabs before reviewing materials for submission. Some information provided in the online application system is identical to information provided in the grant application; please be sure that these answers correspond. For this grant opportunity, all required materials will be uploaded within the Attachments Tab; materials will not be mailed or delivered. Using the Review My Application Tab, review your materials for completeness, be sure to save and print a copy of all materials for yourself, and Submit. Please note that TFEC staff cannot access or view your Draft Materials, and that you must select “Submit” by 4pm on the deadline date.
Helpful Hints: Accessing the Online Application System
- To begin, you will enter the applicant organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number. You will not will not be able to create an Organization Profile without it.
- You may Save and Finish Later at any time when completing the Organization Profile and uploading documents.
- Submit all materials prior to the deadline; the online application system will close after 4pm.
Notes to Remember
- All materials, including letters of support if applicable, are to be uploaded and submitted online for this grant opportunity. Items requiring an original signature should be signed, scanned, and uploaded.
- Only projects taking place during the stated grant year will be considered for this round of funding.
- Applicants with current grant awards from TFEC who are delinquent or non-compliant in grant reporting requirements may have subsequent grant applications denied.
- Questions are welcome at any time and TFEC provides feedback on proposals that were not funded.
If using a Fiscal Sponsor for your application, you must also follow the directions below
- Enter the Fiscal Sponsor Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, to access the online application system.
- Your application must include a letter signed by the Executive Leader of the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor indicating their agreement to act as your Fiscal Sponsor. An original signature is required. This letter should be uploaded with your application attachments.
- Within the “Application Information” tab of the online application system, you will be required to provide additional information about the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor under the “Fiscal Sponsor” Heading. Within this section, the Organization Name and Contact Information should be for the Organization and Executive Leader of the organization who is serving as your Fiscal Sponsor. You will also complete all questions regarding registration with the PA Bureau of Charitable Organizations using your Fiscal Sponsor’s information.
- For all other elements of the “Organization Contact Information” and “Application Information” tabs, your organization is the Applicant Organization and all other questions on the application should include information relating to your organization and not the organization who is acting as your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter of your Fiscal Sponsor.
- If applicable, upload the Board of Directors List for your organization AND your Fiscal Sponsor.
- Upload the most recent 990 of your Fiscal Sponsor. If the applicant organization has a separate budget or financial statement that would assist the grantmaking committee in their review of an application, this document may also be uploaded.
- The organization acting as your Fiscal Sponsor will receive notification of whether or not a grant has been awarded. If a grant is awarded the Fiscal Sponsor will be required to execute the Grant Agreement and will be sent the grant funds to be allocated to your organization appropriately. Your Fiscal Sponsor will be responsible for ensuring the funds are used as indicated in the original proposal and/or grant agreement.
If you should have any questions regarding TFEC grant opportunities or your application, please contact Jennifer Strechay, Program Officer for Community Investment, at email@example.com or 717-236-5040.