Listed below are some upcoming events sponsored by or in partnership with TFEC.
Save the Date: February 22, 2018
Kindergarten Transition Conference hosted by United Way of Carlisle and Cumberland County.
Additional details and registration coming soon!
October 2017 | Kindergarten Transition Conference
Conference Theme: STEAM
Science and technology interpreted through engineering and the arts, all based in mathematical elements.
STEAM is a way to teach how all things relate to each other, in school and in life. It’s more fun than traditional learning styles and makes more sense to all types of learners because it is based on the natural ways that people learn and are interested in things.
February 2017 | Kindergarten Transition Conference
TFEC’s Parents & Partners, Lancaster-Lebanon IU-13, South Middleton School District, and the United Way of Carlisle and Cumberland County hosted a conference on February 23, 2017 on furthering transition practices within schools and communities. Research shows that a seamless transition into Kindergarten is critical for young children in order to be successful in their future academic careers—this transition sets the tone for their future school experiences. Our presenters provided their best practices in how they handle this important transition for children, families, and educators.
Dr. Don Murk | What Administrators and School Personnel Need to Know About the Effects of Trauma on Executive Functioning Skills in Children
- Presentation: Executive Functioning Skills: Critical to Whole Child Development
- Presentation: Effects of Trauma on Children
- The Effects of Trauma on Children and Adolescents
- Emotional Trauma and Children’s Executive Functioning: Is there a Connection? (Trauma Dissertation)
- Effects of Trauma Induced Stress on Attention, Executive Functioning, Processing Speed, and Resilience in Urban Children
- What is Trauma? (Center for Nonviolence & Social Justice)
- Children and Trauma: Update for Mental Health Professionals
- Coping with Emotional and Psychological Trauma: Dealing with Recent or Childhood Trauma So You Can Move On
- The Effect of Trauma on the Brain Development of Children: Evidence-Based Principles for Supporting the Recovery of Children in Care
- Essential Trauma Informed Practices in Schools
- To Reach Struggling Students, Schools Need to be more “Trauma-Sensitive”
- The 3R’s of School Crises and Disasters: Readiness, Response, and Recovery
Marcy Witherspoon | ACEs: A Deeper Look
- 8 Things to Remember about Child Development
- 10 Things About Childhood Trauma Every Teacher Needs to Know
- Stress & Early Brain Growth: Understanding Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
Mary Dague & Christina Stark | Countdown to Kindergarten: Preparing for a Smooth Transition
- Action Plan Template for Transition Activities (PDF File)
- Action Plan Template for Transition Activities (Excel File)
Dan Dubovsky | Recognizing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in Children with Challenging Behaviors to Reduce ACEs
Dan Dubovsky | Implementing Modifications in Approaches to Improve Outcomes for Children with Challenging Behaviors and Their Families